Rockymounts Backstage Platform-style Bike Carrier
The RockyMounts BackStage platform-style rack lets you carry 2 bikes using your vehicle's hitch. The bike trays swing-away with bikes loaded, providing maximum access to your vehicle's cargo area. The ratcheting arms and wheel cradles secure your bikes by the wheels so there's no frame contact. Pivoting rear-wheel cradles accommodate bikes of different lengths, and they're designed to hold fat bike tires up to 5" wide. Front-mounted lever allows the rack to easily tilt down with bikes loaded and fold up when not in use. Finally, the rack includes a hitch lock and cable lock to secure your bikes to the rack and the rack to your vehicle.
The BackStage features a hinged arm that lets you swing the rack away from the rear of your vehicle with your bikes still loaded. The rack extends 67" away from the hitch, providing maximum access to your vehicle's rear cargo area. This eliminates the need to unload the bikes or remove the rack when you're loading or unloading cargo or letting your dogs hop in or out of the back.
To open the hinged arm, simply turn the T-handle until it's loose, pull the spring-loaded pin, and swing the rack away from the rear of the vehicle. The arm will lock into place once it's fully extended so your hands are free to open your hatch and remove cargo.
To close the rack, pull the inner spring pin and swing the bike trays back into position. The spring pin will click when the rack is fully closed. Finally, tighten the T-handle to completely secure the rack.
The front-mounted easy release lever allows a single person to both tilt the rack down and fold it up with ease. The rack tilts down 30 degrees with or without bikes loaded for convenient access to your vehicle's rear cargo area. This is great for cramped parking lots where you might not have room to swing the rack out, or when you're in a hurry and don't have time to go through the process of extending and retracting the swing arm.
The lever also lets you fold the rack up for storage when you're not transporting a bike. This is great for parking in places where space is limited such as a parking garage.
The rack allows you to quickly and easily load and carry 2 bicycles on the back of your vehicle. The ratcheting arms securely hold your bikes by the front wheels so there's no frame contact. Simply push the button on the hook and slide it firmly into place over your front wheel. Each wheel hook is coated for grip and work with tire diameters up to 29".
The pivoting rear-wheel cradles allow the rack to accommodate bikes with wheelbases up to 48" long. The cradles include ratcheting, rubber straps to hold your bikes' rear wheels securely in place on the tray.
The BackStage also comes with wheel strap extensions that attach to the standard ratcheting straps to increase the usable length and secure wider tires. This allows the cradles to hold fat bike tires up to 5" wide.
The front and back bike trays adjust 3" side to side to ensure you have enough space when loading your bikes. Just loosen the 4 bolts where the tray attaches to the bottom of the rack, slide the trays left or right to achieve the desired spacing, and then tighten the bolts. This will prevent your bikes' handlebars from becoming tangled, and it eliminates the fear of bike-to-bike contact during transport.
- Hitch-mounted, platform-style rack carries up to 2 bikes on the back of your vehicle
- Swing-away design allows you to access your rear cargo area without removing bikes from rack
- Hinged arm at base swings rack out and away from the rear of your vehicle
- Versatile design fits most bikes regardless of frame design, suspension, or brake style
- Front-mounted, easy-release lever allows a single person to tilt and fold the rack
- Tilt the rack down with or without bikes loaded for access to rear cargo area
- Fold the rack up for storage
- Ratcheting hooks on pivoting upright arms hold your bikes securely by the front wheels - no frame contact
- Large front- and rear-wheel cradles make it easy to load bikes
- Pivoting rear-wheel cradles with ratcheting straps adjust to fit bikes of most lengths
- Deep wheel cradles and extra-long wheel straps accommodate fat bike tires up to 5" wide
- Adjustable bike trays slide 3" side to side to optimize bike spacing
- Quick and easy installation with hand knob and threaded anti-rattle hitch pin
- Slide rack into receiver, insert hitch pin, and tighten with included tool
- Included lock system deters theft of the rack and your bikes
- Hitch lock secures rack to your vehicle
- Cable lock secures your bikes to the rack
- Durable steel and aluminum construction with black powder coat finish is rust-resistant
- Application: 2" x 2" trailer hitch receivers
- Carrying capacity: 2 bicycles
- Weight capacity: 60 lbs per bike
- Wheel diameter: 20" - 29"
- Maximum tire width: 5"
- Maximum wheelbase: 48"
- Distance between bicycles: 12"
- Distance from center of hitch pin hole to:
- Closest part of rack when folded down: 9-1/2"
- Closest part of rack when folded up: 7"
- Farthest part of rack when folded down: 34"
- Farthest part of rack when folded up: 19"
- Carrier weight: 75 lbs
- Limited lifetime warranty